No wonder sprinter Ricardo dos Santos was pulled over by London police for the second time



Portuguese sprinter Ricardo dos Santos was pulled over while driving in the British capital on Sunday morning. Dos Santos was previously stopped and searched by the same police service in July 2020 along with his partner and child.

In a series of tweets, dos Santos posted dashcam footage from his car of Sunday’s incident, showing the Sprinter pulling over and several police officers then approaching the vehicle.

in TweetsDos Santos expressed his frustration.

“No wonder I have to go through this again. Driving home last night I was stopped by 7 armed @metpoliceuk officers because they thought I was on my phone while driving. At their request I pulled over when it was safe to do so,” the thread began. .

“After I stopped, two officers ran to either side of the car, one fist pounding on my window and trying to open the car door. Not knowing how to use the Tesla handle, he took out his baton in desperation, ready to break the glass,” Dos Santos said in his post.

“Frustrated that nothing has changed in under 2 years,” Dos Santos posted.

The Metropolitan Police has issued a statement in this regard Twitter, suggesting that the 27-year-old failed to pull through in good time. In a statement, “We are aware of footage on social media showing the parked part of the car.

“At approximately 04.00 hours on Sunday 14 August, armed officers were on routine patrol in a marked police vehicle. They saw a car traveling east… and became concerned that the driver might be using a mobile phone at the wheel.

“The officers clearly signaled the car to stop but that was unsuccessful and they called for more assistance. The driver stopped after about 5 minutes… and the officers spoke to him about why they wanted to stop the vehicle.

“We have contacted the driver via Twitter to invite him to contact us if we wish to discuss this matter further.”

Dos Santos responded to the police statement on Sunday TweetHe only showed part of the video saying “the rest will be with my lawyer”.
In a further statement posted by the Metropolitan Police Twitter On Monday, the service wrote that they had “recorded the matter as a public complaint” and “referred it to the IOPC (Independent Office for Police Conduct) in recognition of public interest”.

CNN reached out to dos Santos’ representatives for further comment and were told they would not make an official statement, but referred CNN to an interview he did with the BBC.

“I put this video up because these things are happening so much … I wanted people to actually see and discuss and understand that even though the police are put in special measures, nothing will or will change,” he told BBC’s 5 Live.

Dos Santos and his partner, Team GB sprinter Bianca Williams, spoke to CNN senior sports analyst Darren Lewis in 2020 about their previous encounter with police.

After the couple left their three-month-old son in the car and were searched by police officers, the footage went viral on social media.

In that interview, Williams said she needed to teach her son that “the police can stop him because of the color of his skin.”

Five Metropolitan Police officers are set to face a full misconduct inquiry into the July 2020 incident following an investigation by the police watchdog, the IOPC.





Source link

Leave a Comment