Los Angeles deputy DA: Gascon is creating ‘ticking time bomb’ by releasing killers back onto streets


NewYou can listen to Fox News articles now!

A Los Angeles County deputy district attorney says George Gascon’s “blanket policy” of releasing inmates convicted of crimes like murder as juveniles is creating a “ticking time bomb” and that their “days are still numbered” after parole. On Monday, the campaign was hit hard.

Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon’s office has released many inmates convicted of violent crimes, such as murder, onto the streets.

Because of Proposition 57, approved by California voters in 2016, every minor Convicted in an adult court An additional transfer hearing must be received in juvenile court to determine whether the person should be tried as an adult.

In many cases, however, Gascón’s office chooses not to participate in transfer hearings and the prisoner is released.

Los Angeles County Dr. George Gascon Policy Blamed for California Man’s Killing

Andres Cachu was released from prison in November after Gascon’s close friend, Deputy District Attorney Alisa Blair, decided not to testify in a hearing intended to determine whether he should remain in custody since he aged out of a juvenile detention facility. 25.

Catchu was involved in a police pursuit in July, dropped a gun he allegedly owned, and charged with evading arrest, driving under the influence and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Andrew Catchu, inset, was paroled for six years of a 50-year murder sentence with the help of LA DA George Gascon
(Brian van der Brug/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images, Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department)

Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney John Hatami told Fox News Digital that Gascon’s policy was creating a “ticking time bomb” and that the killer who was eventually released was going to victimize someone else.

“He really doesn’t care.”

“When you release dangerous criminals who are murderers at age 25, when you present no evidence to a judge, when you don’t consider this person to be dangerous while in prison, and you release this person. Yes, it becomes a ticking time bomb. And at a certain point, that person is going to victimize somebody else. So George Gascon really has to think about that.”

Hatami says Gascon isn’t concerned about the possibility of anyone becoming a victim.

“They really don’t care. And it’s sad because the sheriff’s job is to fight for the victims and their families, make sure there’s accountability, make sure there’s justice and make sure the public is safe so this person doesn’t come out for somebody else,” Hatami said.

The campaign to recall Gascon suffered a major setback Monday when the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder discovered that not enough valid signatures had been collected to put the recall question on the ballot.

Despite the setback, Hatami said he has a message for Gascon: “I’m not going anywhere.”

“I will always stand with abused and neglected children, victims and their families and the residents of LA County. Your days are still numbered. Just like today, I will be back working for people tomorrow,” Hatami said. “I am incredibly saddened and disappointed by today’s news. My heart breaks for the victims, their families and the entire county of LA. However, the fight for justice, public safety and doing the right thing is not over. Take a moment. I will always be proud of all the hard work of the families and volunteers.”

Patricia Venskunas, founder and CEO of Crime Survivors Inc., a California-based organization that helps victims of violent crime and their family members, told Fox News Digital. A potential Gascon recall faded Monday.

“I am very concerned for the victims, survivors and public safety, and especially for our communities in Los Angeles County. I pray that this does not encourage DA Gascon with more progressive policies and that he decides to realize the importance of holding criminals accountable and bringing justice to victims through our legal system,” Venskunas said. Said. “We must take a breath and once again find our voice for the voiceless.

California Murderer Freed 6 Years of 50-Year Sentence, Arrested Again on Gun, DUI Charge After Car Chase

In another case, according to the Los Angeles Daily News, Victor Bibiano, 30, served just eight years of a life sentence after being convicted of two counts of murder because Gascon’s office refused to transfer the case from juvenile to adult court.

He was taken into custody in May in connection with the shooting death of Mario Rodriguez, 40, who was shot at a transient camp in the Los Angeles area of ​​Pacoima, though Gascon said Bibiano was not shot or killed. fleeting

Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon defended his policies Tuesday amid criticism after reports that the dead police officers accused of killing two El Monte, Calif., police officers are on probation.

Los Angeles District Attorney George Gascon defended his policies Tuesday amid criticism after reports that the dead police officers accused of killing two El Monte, Calif., police officers are on probation.
(KCBS-TV)

He and two other men were convicted in adult court in 2012 of killing two gang members and injuring a third in 2009 when Bibiano was 17.

Initially, Bibiano He was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for shooting into a dwelling, attempted murder and a special circumstance double murder, but was released in 2021.

California suspect who killed two El Monte police officers is on probation for gun charge, sources say

Gascon told the Los Angeles Daily News that his office did not seek a transfer to adult court in that instance because it could not prove that Bibiano did not benefit from juvenile rehabilitation services when the original offenses were committed.

“Bibiano had no prior criminal record Time for the murders, he had no serious violations while incarcerated, and he presented other confidential mitigating information, we determined we could not meet that burden,” Gascon said. “Bibiano remained in juvenile court. We have requested the Department of Juvenile Justice Commitment for two additional years. That request was granted but the Division of Juvenile Justice rejected Mr. Bibiano. However, as part of his release plan, Bibiano had access to support and community resources.

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon speaks at a press conference on Dec. 8, 2021, in Los Angeles.

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon speaks at a press conference on Dec. 8, 2021, in Los Angeles.
(Photo by Robin Beck/AFP)

In 2021, a convicted murderer was caught on video celebrating in his prison cell after learning of a new Gascon directive calling for the re-sentencing of prisoners serving 15 years in prison. He was seen on video toasting Gascon with “white lightning,” a prison moonshine.

“I can tell they feel the sheriff’s office has abandoned them.”

“Right here with my cellie,” Dorsett said, according to a video released by the California District Attorneys Association. “Some white lightning, a little cup, boom! We’re celebrating going home under the direction of this Gascon. Oh!”

Kathy Cady, a former prosecutor with the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office, told Fox News Digital that Gascon was “uncaring or ignorant of the incredible damage and destruction he was causing.”

Click here to get the Fox News app

Cady said the impact on a victim’s family when their loved one’s murder is released from prison is devastating.

“I can tell they feel like the sheriff’s office has abandoned them,” Cady said. “They’re so wrecked and, you know, abandoned.”

Fox News’ Michael Ruiz, Bill Melugin and David Aro contributed to this report.



Source link

Leave a Comment