911 call reveals neighbors’ fears after Anne Heche crashes into occupied home in LA

Everyone in the home was accounted for, the caller said, not sure how many people were in the car when the crash occurred.

“Somebody’s opening the back to see if we can get in because they’re a little trapped … inside the car,” the caller continued. In the background, a voice shouts “Fire!” And another called for hoses as dispatchers tried to determine whether the smoke was in the house or the car.

Questions remain about that tragic day, as more information comes to light about the events leading up to his downfall.

A red wig and a ‘random’ morning encounter

About 20 minutes before Heche’s car crashed into the house, she made an innocuous purchase: a red wig at a hair salon in Venice, about two miles from the crash site.

Around 10:35 that morning, he entered the hair salon through the back door, owner Richard Glass told the Los Angeles Times.

She looked at the wigs on the shelf in the shampoo area and picked out the blue one. Glass said the wig was already taken, so she opted for a red wig, she told the publication.

Glass recognized her, and the pair took selfies, one of which she posted on Instagram.

“So I met @anneheche today and she randomly bought a #redwig,” she wrote in the caption.

With a beaming smile — her blonde hair in a short, messy cut — Heche holds her new wig in the photo.

Glass used the time stamp on the photos to estimate the time of High’s arrival at the salon, he told the publication. This is one of the last photos of him before the accident.

When reached by CNN, Glass declined to provide further details, saying the “strange and terrifying” situation was difficult to process and had taken a toll on him.

“I quickly found it difficult to navigate the cyberbullying from strangers, the random phone calls and all the outreach that comes with it — as well as the overwhelming feelings of sadness at seeing a tragedy and the loss of one’s life,” she told CNN.

About 20 minutes later, the fire broke out in the two-story house

Shortly after stopping at the hair salon, Heche’s speeding car plowed into a home in Los Angeles, police said. Video from the scene showed the charred shell of the car and clouds of smoke.

“The solo passenger vehicle came to rest well inside a 738-square-foot, two-story home built in 1952, which suffered structural compromise and burst into heavy flames,” the Los Angeles Fire Department said in a statement.

Officials said it took about 60 firefighters about 65 minutes to put out the fire and save Heche. She was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

Lynne Michele lived at home with her puppies, Bree and Ruban, and turtle Marley. They didn’t make it out alive, but lost almost everything in the fire, neighbor Roy Morgen told CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS. Heche’s car stopped about two feet from where Michele was sitting, Morgen said.

Shortly before the crash, Heche had been involved in a separate hit-and-run incident, but her serious injuries prevented authorities from questioning her about it, a law enforcement source said. LAPD officials told CNN they have no plans to release additional details about that incident.

At the time of the accident, Heche was involved in several projects, including the “Better Together” podcast, which highlights meaningful friendships. In an episode of the podcast released before the crash, Heche talked about having a bad day. “Today is a very special day,” he said on the podcast. “I don’t know what happened, sometimes the days suck.”

It is unclear when the episode was recorded. Not much is known about her whereabouts that morning minutes before the crash.

A 911 call about a trapped victim and panic

A 911 call provides insight into panic at the scene of an accident.

In the frantic audio, the caller told dispatch that the car was moving so fast that it was in the second room of the home. “Like 10 feet to the house,” the caller said.

The caller later told dispatch that the car was on fire and the smoke was getting “really black,” while others yelled in the background that someone was trapped in the car. Sirens blared in the background.

“Here comes the paramedics,” said the caller. Dispatch urged the caller to stay on the phone until medics began to help the victim.

Positive drug test and dismissed investigation

After the accident, many were admitted to the hospital in a critical condition.

Detectives obtained a search warrant for a sample of her blood and tests later showed she was under the influence of drugs, police said.

Her spokesperson told CNN that the actress suffered a significant lung injury requiring a ventilator and severe burns. Her family and friends later said she had suffered a severe anoxic brain injury, which occurs when the brain is deprived of oxygen.

Until she died on Sunday, she was kept on life support and a match was made to determine if her organs were eligible for donation.

The LAPD initially announced she was being investigated for felony DUI after her blood work showed signs of impairment, upping it from misdemeanor DUI.

After her death, authorities dropped their criminal investigation into the crash, police said.

Source link

Leave a Comment